This township was, until 1822, included within the boundaries of Summerfield, as were the present townships of Exeter and Milan. In that year a reorganization took place and London was set off as a separate township. Its northern line adjoins Washtenaw county, and its eastern and western boundaries being the townships of Exeter, Milan, with Dundee and Raisinville on the south.

The first township meeting was held April 1, 1833, at the house of Abraham Hayack, when the following officers were elected: Cyrus Everett, supervisor; Henry Chittenden, clerk; Wm. E. Marvin, John C. Sterling and Samuel Nichols and Bethuel Hack, commissioners of schools and overseers of highways.

One of the important transactons of this meeting was the adoption of the rule that "all swine wieghing less than sixty pounds each shall not be permitted to run at large, without a good and sufficient poke."

Many prosperous and intelligent farmers were among the residents of this township, and were honored by the choice of the voters to representative offices, Cyrus Everett, Eleazer Barnes, R. E. Whiting, Wm. E. Bradford being well known and respected examples. Mr. Barnes served as supervisor in 1843, 1845, 1846, 1849, and 1850. Albert Bond, Thomas C. Howard, Michael Gramlick being supervisors for many years. At the present time F. C. Howard represents the township. The reports of the Geological Survey on Monroe county state in regard to London and contiguous territory, that is, Petersburg, Dundee and on the Macon, concerning the quarernary age, of deposits (untechnically gravels and small stones in groups or bunches of four). "Beds of gravel are found in section 9, in Milan, about three feet in depth, overlain by thirteen feet of clay. Eastward in London, section 20, a fifty foot depth. In Summerfield reports of similar reports of gravel strata; these gravel pits were often abandoned because the holes could not be kept clean. A very good supply and quality of water was obtained at the place of T. M. Taft. At John Long's place course gravel was reached at a dept of fifty-three feet.

Taken from:
"History of Monroe County Michigan", by John McCelland Bulkley.
Published by The Lewis Publishing Companyi, Chicago / New York, 1913.
Page 490- 491.