Upon the organization of the township of Frenchtown its boundaries included not only much of the original town of that name which the early pioneers settled upon the north bank of the River Raisin, but also the townships of Berlin and Ash, and for this reason was the most populous of the five which were organized in 1827. The inhabitants gave their attention to farming almost exclusively, although the eastern line lay along the shores of Lake Erie and contiguous to extensive marshes, which afforded opportunity to those so disposed, to engage in fishing and trapping, from which they derived no inconsiderable revenue. The first township election took place in April, 1827, the voting place being in the residence of Francois La Salle, which stood near the River Raisin east of the present railroad tracks, being now in the Fourth ward of the city.
The first supervisor elected (in 1827) was Mr. Edmund Littlefield, who served two terms and was succeeded by John B. Cicotte, who held the office for three successive terms; James J. Godfroy followed him in 1832, Laurent Durocher, Medard Couture, Lewis Bond and Warner Wing filling the office in the years 1833, 1834, 1835 and 1836. From that year until 1912 the township has been represented on the board of supervisors by the following: Laurent Durocher (who served six years from 1842 to 1848 inclusive), Alfred G. Bates, Gouverneur Morris, Tousainte Navarre (served ten years successively from 1851 to 1861, also two terms in 1862 and 1863). Nelson Jarbo was elected in 1864 and 1865, J. Dusseau in 1866 and 1867, George R. Hurd in 1868 to 1872.
The choice of men to fill the office of supervisors of the township appear to have been wisely exercised, realizing as the voters undoubtedly did that this was the most important and responsible one in the township. It will be perceived that one or two of these officials were held in high esteem by their constituents who returned them year after year and in whom they were never disappointed or deceived by any act of theirs public or private.
The history of this township is so closely identified with that of the city of Monroe and the settlement of te county that its history would be a repetition of what has been told in these pages already, and therefore is unimportant as a separate narrative.
"History of Monroe County Michigan", by John McCelland Bulkley.
Published by The Lewis Publishing Companyi, Chicago / New York, 1913.