This township was formerly a part of Ash, which in 1837 was organized out of Frenchtown and became an independent township when it was organized out of Ash in 1867. Upon its first election in 1868, Hon. John Strong was chosed supervisor. The latter is a most public-spirited citizen whose residence and business interests of large magnitude are located in South Rockwood and comprise a large flouring mill, stave mill, extensive general store occupying a two-story brick block and filled with a very large stock of general merchandise, and in the second story a large public hall for the convenience of the public. Two steam railroad lines pass through the village, the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern, and Michigan Central Railroads, and the electric suburban of the Detroit United Short Line, between Detroit, Monroe and Toledo, affording ample transportation facilities. A tasteful and substantial brick church (undenominational) was built by the generosity of Mr. Strong for his fellow residents in the village. Newport is a thriving village also in this township, with an enterprising community, supplied with manufacturing and merchantile houses, which have had a uniformly prosperous career, a Methodist, Congregational and Catholic church, two hotels and two railroad stations, and the station of the Detroit, Monroe and Toledo Electric Railroad.

The geological features in this neighborhood center in the limestone quarries, which at this point are rich in building stone, lime and road metal. A large stone crusher was operated here for many years. The supervisor of the township is Frank W. Partlan of Newport.

The first settlers in the township were William White and Lousi Le Duc. The former settled on a farm one mile east of the present village of Newport, and for many years was the enterprising and somewhat eccentric proprietor of a hotel and general store. When the Detroit, Monroe and Toledo Railroad was built the line passed Mr. White by, -- choosing a route westerly, where a village sprung up and the station

Taken from:
"History of Monroe County Michigan", by John McCelland Bulkley.
Published by The Lewis Publishing Companyi, Chicago / New York, 1913.
Page 492 - 493.