Biographies of Huron County Citizens
FROM IT'S SETTLING PIONEERS TO THE LATER RESIDENTS
JENKS, Jeremiah:, a pioneering settler of the eastern side of the county. Jenks was born December 13, 1810 in Newport, New Hampshire. His parents, Jeremiah W. and Hester (Lane) Jenks were also natives of Newport, New Hampshire. His father was born June 11, 1780; his mother January 2, 1784. They bore 11 children and moved to Bridgeport, New Hampshire, for a short stay than went to Crown Point, New York. His father died there on August 12, 1852 and his mother October 24, 1850.
In 1854, Jenks came to St Clair, Michigan, stayed only eight months, and moved to Lexington in Sanilac County, Michigan. During his first ten years he was the proprietor and manager of the Lexington Exchange Hotel, then manager of the Cadillac House. At this same time he invested heavily in lumber. He purchased a saw-mill and 500 acres of timberland, five miles north of Lexington.
In 1864, associated with George W. Pack and J.L. Woods under the name Pack, Jenks & Company he purchased a saw-mill ocated at Allen's Creek, 2 and half miles south of present day Sand Beach.
The firm dissolved January 1, 1876, but Jenks continued to press his own local business interests and became the proprietor of Carrington, Pack & Company, of Sand Beach. It included 18,000 acres of land. Jenks divided his estate and business in 1876, with his son, George W. Jenks, who formed a new company that included two nephews, James M. and Bela W. Jenks. They built a large flouring mill, initiated extensvie salt works, and established mercantile relations on a large scale.
Jenks married two times, the first marriage occurred in 1837 at Crown Point, New York to a Miss Relief Huestis. She was born September 4, 1811 in Coventry, Vermont, daughter of Daniel Huestis. She died January 18, 1873 at Sand Beach and had one son and one daughter. George W. born May 9, 1838 in Crown Point, New York, and Mary E. born September 25, 1846 in Crown Point, New York.
Jenks second marriage was to Mrs. Amanda Jenks ( widow of his brother, Benjamin Jenks) occured in St Clair, Michigan in 1874. Mrs. Jenks first marriage to Benjamin Jenks issued five children: James M. born Juley 14, 1850; Robert H. born July 26, 1854; Jeremiah W. born September 2, 1856; Hester P. born December 12, 1858; and Martin L. born July 15, 1861. Their first two children were born in Crown Point, New York, while the last three were born in St Clair, Michigan. Jeremiah and Amanda had no children of their union.
Jenks and his family were members of the Christain Baptist Church in Sand Beach.
In 1874, he was nominated and elected Senator of the Republican race of the 22nd District. He later served as chairman of the Committee on the State Public Schools, and a member of The Committee on Banks.
GILBERT, Charles: farmer and landowner who settled in Meade Township in 1859. Born in Norway, October 11, 1837, he was the 6th of 7 children. His parents, William and Catherine (Anderson) Gilbert, also natives of Norway, were married and resided in Norway until the death of William. Catherine Gilbert came to the United States in 1853 and settled in Pontiac, Oakland County, Michigan where she died in November 1854.
Charles remained in Pontiac about 18 months and headed for Port Huron, Michigan where he remained until his arrival to Meade Township. He bought 80 acres of Government land, all wilderness where he built a cabin and cleared his land.
Gilbert married Anne C. Patersen in Meade Township on October 24, 1864. Anne was born March 11, 1833 in Norway and was the daughter of Christopher and Caroline Petersen, who came to the United States in the fall of 1855. The Gilberts had nine children all born in Meade Township: Charles A. , Geroge J. , Mary R. , Emma M. , Anne M. , Bertie A. , Emma A., Henry C., and William. Emma M. died July 22, 1877.
Gilbert, a Republican, held the office of Supervisor of Meade Township for four consecutive years and was then Justice of the Peace. He became Treasurer from 1871 - 1877. On August 15, 1862, he enlisted in the Union Army - Michigan 23rd Infantry. He obtained an honorable discharge in Detroit on June 28, 1865. Upon discharge, he returned to his farm in Huron and began his political office.
CARY, John M.: Clerk of Huron County and resident of Bad Axe, Michigan born August 28, 1842, on Mount Desert Island, Maine. His father Reverend Calvin L. Cary, was a minister of the Baptist Church for almost 50 years. He died in Bradford, Penobscot County, Maine, in 1883. His mother, Ursula (Forbes) Cary died in Bradford in 1873.
Cary first went to Bangor, Maine to learn the pharmacutical business, which was his chief interest for 15 years. In the fall of 1874, he came to Saginaw, Michigan and became a lumberman for Whitney, Rennick & Gulliver. In 1875, he became manager of their saw-mill, for 18 months. At that time, he open a drug store in Bad Axe which he operated until the spring of 1881, when he sold out to devote time to his Republican duties.
Cary was a member of the Masonic fraternity, and owner of a residence and three-fourths of an acre of land in Bad Axe. His first residence was burned in a 1881 fire with all its contents.
Cary married in Bradford, Maine May 11, 1872 to Alvina Scribner, who was born May 16, 1844 in Charleston, Maine. She was the daughter of Mark and Dolly Scribner. The children of the Cary's total three: Lulu born October 11, 1873 in Charleston, Maine; Charles C. born February 29, 1876 in Bad Axe, Michigan; and an infant son who died in March 1884.
BOPE, William T.: attorney and member of the law firm Chipman & Bope in Bad Axe. Born January 8, 1853, in Lapeer City, Michigan, he was the son of Philemon and Ellen (Sloss) Bope. His mother died in Arch 1863, and in April 1865, he father passed away, leaving him fully orphaned. He was raised by a maternal uncle Thomas B. Sloss of Orland, Steuben County, Indiana, where he attended school. In 1873 he became a student of law in the office of McBride & Morland in Waterloo, Indiana.
In the fall of 1875, he entered the Law Department of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor where he graduated in 1876.
Bope came to Bad Axe in January 1879, and established his business with George W. Carpenter, who he associated with only one year, after which he conducted affairs alone, until 1883 when he became part of Chipman & Bope.
Mr Bope married June 15, 1882 in Butler, Indiana, to Binnie Plowe, the daughter of John and Elizabeth Plowe. She was born February 1857, in Wolcottville, Lagrange County, Indiana.
SCOTT, Thomas: farmer and resident on section 23 Verona Township was born in Scotland June 9, 1833. He was the son of John and Jane (Dalglish) Scott, and remained in Scotland until the spring of 1857, when he emigrated to Canada. While in Scotland, he had learned the business of stone mason and worked on building the Grand Trunk RailRoad.
In September 1859, he came to Verona and bought 280 acres of land, and entered on improving 100 acres of said lands. He suffered in both fires in 1871 and 1881 and lost all property and contents of his homes, he also lost his barn, farm products, and fences.
Scott married in Canada in 1867 to Agnes Shannon daughter of Robert and Helen (Beattie) Shannon. She was born in Westminster, Canada, and bore six children: John, Robert, William, Thomas, Ella, and Walter all born in Verona Township.
Scott held Supervisor of Verona in the 1880s and 1890s.
ALLEN, George B.: farmer, section 5, Meade Township was born December 27, 1841 in Middlesex County, Ontario, Canada. His parents John and Lucinda (Russell) Allen were born in Canada and Vermont, respectively. George was the second son, and sixth child of John and Lucinda. He remained at home until age 25, were he assisted in working the farm.
In 1882, he came to Huron County and bought 80 acres of land in Chandler Township, afterwards he exchanged for 80 acres of land in Meade Township.
Allen married August 11, 1866, in Canada to Mary A. Dibb, daughter of Richard and Ann (Quest) Dibb. She bore five children to their marriage: Wallace E. born February 15, 1867; Minnie L. born May 30, 1869; Horace L. born February 28, 1874, he died September 30, 1881; Bertram R. born June 26, 1876, he died March 31, 1881; and Harry L. born July 1, 1880. Mrs. Allen was born November 18, 1846, in Ontario, Canada, and died in Middlesex County, Ontario, July 11, 1880, only 10 days after her last son was born.
Allen was a member of the Masonic fraternity, and became proprietor of 60 acres of one of the best land improvements in the county.
COLE, Thomas: farmer, section 8 Huron Township, was born January 1, 1848, on the Isle of Man, England. He is the son of Charles and Margaret (Gale) Cole, his mother born November 18, 1814 on the Isle of Man, England, and his father born April 12, 1815, and died December 18, 1871 in Huron, Erie County, Ohio. Both parents were of Danish descent, and arrived in the United States June 5, 1852. They proceeded to Concord Township, Lake County, Ohio, then to Oxford, Erie County Ohio.
Cole came to Michigan around 1874, to Margaretta Township, Erie County, Michigan and rented a farm until 1879. He then proceeded to Huron County and bought a 60 acre farm in November 1879. He purchased 40 more acres in the spring of 1881, which he cleared and built a house and barn, both of which burned in the 1881 fire.
Cole married May 26, 1870, to Laura B. Strong, daughter of Andrew and Cedelia (Parrish) Strong. Her mother was born in 1829 and died in 1856 in Placerville, California. Her father was born in 1824, and he died in Lenawee County, Michigan December 4, 1870. Cole and his wife had a total of seven children: Jesse L. born April 21, 1871; Belle M. born July 10, 1872; Archie A., born October 10, 1874; Cedelia M. bron Februrary 24, 1875; John E. born October 11, 1877; Elva R. born June 25, 1879; and Edna G. born May 24, 1881. Mrs. Cole was born APril 22, 1848, in Wisconsin.
Cole, a Republican, and member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, also served as School Assessor for five years, and in 1881 was School Superintendent.
BALLENTINE, John: merchant, of Bad Axe, Michgian, was born August 8, 1841, in New Brunswick, Canada. His parents, William and Ruth (McAllen) Ballentine, moved to Dereham Township, Oxford County, Ontario in 1856.
Ballentine spent four years in the saw-mill business in Oxford County and in 1860 came to Port Huron, Michigan, where he was also involved in the saw-mill business until 1863, when he moved to Forester, Sanilac County, Michigan. For two years he ran a saw-mill business there, until moving to Rock Falls where he worked as a sawyer. He remained there 18 months, then opened a general store in Verona Mills, Huron County. He lost his store in the 1871 fire, and lost the business, building, and all contents.
His next business venture was lumbering, and he built a saw-mill in Verona, which he managed 7 years, and added a flouring mill. Both successful businesses, until the 1881 fire which swept away all his properties, including his house and the contents, he had only 50 cents on him, at the time of the fire.
Ballentine managed to keep his head above water, and in January 1883, he came to Bad Axe, Michigan and established a mercantile business. He built the finest home in Bad Axe, and grounds containing 2 acres of land. He also owned a lot near his business which platted on the prominent business district. Ballantine also owns two other business lots and 248 acres of farm land in Bad Axe.
Ballentine married April 6, 1865 in Rock Falls, Michigan, to Mary M. Grice. She is the daughter of James G and Jane (Mason) Grice, and was born June 19, 1843, in Manchester, England. They bore two children to their union: James R. and Benjamin I.
WALLACE, Robert: member of business firm Lake Huron Stone Company, and resident of Grindstone City, Michigan, was born February 22, 1836, in County Armagh, Ireland. He came to North American when he was 15 years old, and engaged in farming in Lanark County, Ontario, Canada. In 1854, he came to Huron County, Michigan, and opened the business above.
He first operated as laborer until 1864, when he succeeded to the position of manager of the quarries, and in 1868, he became proprietor. The company owns 400 acres of land on the shore of Lake Huron in Port Austin Township.
Wallace married June 30, 1859, to Margaret Deegan, daughter of Patrick and Margaret Deegan and was born November 14, 1844 in Toronto, Canada. They bore 10 children to their married: William H. , John E. , Leonidas R. , Margaret J. , Ann I. , Samuel J. , Eliza M. , Ellinor E. , and Frank. One of their children died in infancy.
Wallace belongs to the Masonic fraternity and the Protestant Association. He served four years as Post Master of Grindstone City.
CLARK, Charles: farmer section 8, Rubicon Township, was born March 2, 1824 in London, England. His parents, Charles and Mary Ann (Hadfield) Clark, passed their entire lives in England. His father was born in 1800 and died in 1854; his mother was born in 1810, and died in 1854 also.
In 1857, Clark emigrated to North America, he ported in New York, and proceeded to Toronto, Ontario, Canada. He stayed 8 years on a rented farm, than came to Michigan.
He bought 80 acres of unimproved land in Rubicon Township, which had been previously owned by Messrs. Stafford, Haywood, & Jeness.
Clark married in 1840 to Ann M. Simmons and had the following children: Mary Ann born May 3, 1841 in London, England; Rosina Elizabeth born March 27, 1842 who died June 15, 1842 both London, England; Charles William born September 24, 1844 in London, England, and died March 12, 1882 in a fall in Stafford's salt works March 12, 1882 in Port Huron; Rosina E. (the second) was born April 17, 1846; Jane born April 4, 1848 London, England, and died April 2, 1851; Arthur born April 30, 1850 in London, England; Esther Jane born May 10, 1852 in London, England; Robert born September 3, 1854 in London, England; John Crossley born June 1, 1857, in Toronto, Ontario, Canada; James A. born April 23, 1859 in Scarborough, Ontario, Canada and died May 10, 1862;and Alice A. born May 29, 1862 in Bosanquet, Ontario, Canada. Mrs Clark was born November 2, 1825 in London, England and was the daughter of James and Mary Ann (Allen) Simmons.
Clark was a Republican, and served eight years as Justice of the Peace, and four years as Notary Public. They are Presbyterian in faith.
CLEARY, William G. : farmer and mechanic, section 34, Gore Township, was born January 1, 1816 in Eastport, Maine. His parents, John and Ann E. (Turner) Cleary both deceased in Michigan.
Cleary went to Brooklyn, New York at age 16, and became an apprentice for seven years as ship carpenter, under Captian John Perry. His apprenticeship was far advanced, and he was relieved to join the marine service, which he sailed aboard the Grampus, which he became their first carpenter. Cleary served in the marines 7 years, and landed in Boston then proceeded New York.
He soon after came to Port Huron, and was employed as a carpenter on the Huron House, where he stayed three years, then proceeded to New Orleans. He spent three years there learning more of his trade, and returned to Port Huron For the next 20 odd years he spent in Canada, Sanilac County, Elm Creek, Port Sanilac, Forester, Big Creek, and Cheboygan, working the carpentry trade.
In August 1869, he came to Port Hope, Michigan and bought 120 acres of unimproved land, on which he settled. He married March 29, 1845 to Jane Hunter, who was born January 11, 1825 in Beckwith, Carlton Township, Ontario, the daughter of James and Mary (Willis) Hunter. They bore 11 children to their union: Mary A. , Martha J. , Elizabeth , William S. , James , Margaret , Sarah J. , George, Henry, Ellen M. , and Ann Eliza.
Cleary was prosperous when the fire of 1871 hit, and he losted his house, barn, fences, shops, and tools. He also lost property in the 1881 fire, but has continued to farm.
He and his wife are of Episcopal father, and Cleary a Democrat, and held several offices of the School Board.
BROOMHOWER, Addison: farmer, section 34, Sheridan Township, Michigan, was born December 16, 1844 in Ashtabula, Ohio. His parents, Andrew and Mary (Bayley ) Broomhower, were natives of New York and Pennsylvania, respectively.
Broomhower came to Michigan in the summer of 1869, and bought 160 acres of land in Sheridan Township, where he held residence and cultivated land.
Broomhower married in Ohio, December 20, 1864, to Alma A. Stewart . They had 7 children: Charlie , Mary , Alma , Xenophon , Alfred A. , John, and Jane. Their son, John died at age 2 or 3 years. Mrs Broomhower was born April 14, 1846 in Ohio, the daughter of Alfred and Alma Stewart.
O'HENLEY, Angus: farmer, section 6, Sheridan Township, was born June 13, 1849, in Scotland. His family arrived in North America to Canada, then to Michigan , within the first year of his life. He was the son of Donald and Christena O'Henley.
When he was 19 years old, O'Henley became a sailor, and spent 11 seasons on the Great Lakes. He served as first and second mate on several of the largest ships on the lakes. He came to Huron County in the fall of 1875, and bought 320 acres of land in Sheridan Township.
On June 29, 1880, he married Mary McDonald in Canada. They bore 3 children: Catherine, Alexander, and Margaret. Mrs O'Henley was born October 8, 1858 in Canada, but was of Scotch decent.
GETTY, Henry: general superintendent of the salt works of New River Salt Block Company, was born in New York March 20, 1835. He is the son of Robert and Harriet Getty. His father is native of Canada, however came to New York temporarily when his wife was giving birth to him. His mother died soon after, and the family returned to Canada where his father died in 1853.
Getty came to Lexington, Michigan and was employed as a lumberman for one winter. He returned to Canada where he stayed until the age of 23. In 1858, he returned to Huron County and spent winters as a lumberman, and summers as a saw-mill assistant.
In 1872, with the establishment of salt block, he assume his position of general superintendent of New River Salt Block Company.
Getty married September 28, 1856 to Elizabeth Pulling daughter of Richard and Fanny (Holden) Pulling. She was born June 22, 1836 in Patworth, Sussex County, England. Her father was born January 11, 1791 in Brighton, England, and died April 19, 1874. Her mother was born August 23, 1806, and died May 14, 1850. Following is the record of the children of Elizabeth and Henry: Hattie F. born July 24, 1858, later married January 6, 1881 to Eugene Everingham; Bertah M. born July 16, 1861, later married July 25, 1878 to Milo Kelley ; Jennie born September 12, 1862, later married February 28, 1881 to Alexander McFadden ; William H. born April 29, 1864 ; George born August 26, 1865, and died Octobert 24, 1872; Frankie born June 13, 1870 ; and Alice born September 23, 1872.
The Getty's owned a farm of 40 acres that he purchased in 1872, and is situated in Dwight Township. He is a Republican, and has held several duties in the school office.
LUDINGTON, Jeremiah Jr: a pioneer settler of Huron County, and resident at Verona Mills, was born May 5, 1828 in Middlebury, Addison County, Vermont. His parents, Jeremiah and Laura (Corbit) Ludington were natives of Vermont and Connecticut, respectively. The family moved to Cleveland, Ohio in 1831, and the father engaged in farming.
Ludington married June 5, 1849 in Euclid Township, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, to Maria A. Trescott. They produced 4 children from their union: Almond A. , Albert L. , Daniel H. , and Willie T.
The Ludington's arrived in Sand Beach May 13, 1850, where Jeremiah immediately built a mill for manufacture of shingles. He carried on a successful business. In addition ot his lumbering, he also owned a general store. In 1857, he built a saw-mill at Center Harbor and managed that until its sale on October 4, 1864.
In December 1864, he came to Verona Mills and built a saw-mill. His first home and that of his brother-in-law, John Kneal built the first frame structures in the county.
After his great loses of the 1871 fire, standing pine timber, 26 buildings, and other properties, he devoted his entergies to agriculture and a mercantile. He erected a store and managed it from 1875 to 1879, when he gave it to his son, Daniel.
In the fall of 1874, he was elected on the Republican ticket to represent his district in the Legislature of Michigan. He served an additional term, then three years as State Swamp Land Road Commissioner.
HALL, James: resident of Grindstone City and operator of grindstone mills, was born February 24, 1852, in Northumberland County, Ontario, Canada. His parents, Alexander and Catherine (McCauley) Hall were natives of Canada as well. The family moved to Mahoning County, Ohio in 1862, where James started mining at age 11.
He came to Sanilac County in 1866 and was employed as lumberman in Austin Township. In 1868, he was employed in the saw-mill of Charles Durand in Sand Beach.
In 1878 he bought 160 acres of land on section 27 in Port Austin Township, which he cleared and improved. He devoted his attention to breeding cattle, and also owns 160 acres of land in Austin Township, Sanilac County.
Hall married November 28, 1878 to Bridget McCoy, the daughter of Thomas and Catherine McCoy. She was born February 25, 1852 in Ottawa County, Ontario. They had two children of their union: Catherine and Mary A..
Hall held office of Road Commissioner, of Port Austin for several years.
HALEY, Oliver: farmer, section 14, Colfax Township, Michigan, was born April 29, 1818, in Ireland. About 1854, he emigrated to Canada, and arrived in Huron County in the spring of 1866. He was the son of Luke and Phebe Haley also natives of Ireland.
Upon his arrival he claimed 160 acres of land on sections 14, and 23 in Colfax Township and later purchased 40 more all under good cultivation.
He married in Kings County, Ireland to Mary Culbert who bore seven children to their union: Margaret, Oliver, James, Ellen, Henry, George, Phebe, and William. Phebe died around age 6 months. The Haley's are members of the Church of England.
LABELLE, Raphael: farmer, section 25, Meade Township, was born July 31, 1849, in Canada. He was the son of Marcellin and Theresa (Filion) LaBelle, also natives of Canada.
LaBelle came to Huron County in 1870 and entered a land claim of 160 acres in Meade Township, which he held for three years, and sold to his brother.
He married December 25, 1874, at Port Austin to Agatha Geoffroy who was born October 25, 1856 in Bayfield, Ontario, Canada. In 1872, he bought 80 acres of land on section 25, in Meade Township wehre he established his homestead.
THOMPSON, William: farmer, section 20, Verona Township, was born June 4, 1835, in Ontario County, Canada. He was the son of William and Ann (St John) Thompson, his father skilled agriculturist. He recieved 20 acres of land from his father, he labored and lived on, until his departure to Michigan.
Thompson married February 14, 1856, to Margaret Bryen, daughter of William and Margaret (Low) Bryen, natives of Ireland. They had 13 children, only nine of which are listed: John, Michael, Margaret, William, Sarah, Georgiana, George, Emma, and Cecelia. Their mother died January 11, 1881, and Thompson remarried on December 2, 1883 to Mrs. Mary Scott (widow of Thomas Scott) Mary had 3 children of her own, by her first husband: William H. born November 6, 1869; Benjamin B. born May 19, 1872; and George A. born September 1, 1884. (**NOTE: the date of George's birth September 1884, does NOT match to be the son of Benjamin Scott, as Mary Scott & William Thompson were married December 2, 1883**)
In March 1864, Thompson purchased 160 acres of land under the Homestead Law, and another 160 were purchares shortly thereafter in Verona Township. The fire of 1881 destroyed much of their home, fences, and several tons of hay. Thompson held also, office of Justice of the Peace.
MCDONNELL, Matthew C. M.D.: physician and surgeon of Bad Axe, born June 12, 1850, in Lockport, Niagara County, New York. Son of Kirvan and Mary (Guinnon) McDonnell, his father a farmer by trade settled in Dexter, Michigan in 1856.
Matthew was afforded a good education, and began teaching during the 1870s. By 1876 he was employed as a salesman in Toledo, Ohio, for Newhansel Bros., dry-goods merchants, for three and half years. He returned to Michigan, to attend the University of Michigan, Medical Department in Ann Arbor and graduated in 1876. He firest established himself in Carleton, Monroe County, Michigan, then to Weston, Lenawee County, Michigan, and finally on August 1, 1883, he settled in Bad Axe.
McDonnell married August 23, 1881 in Adrian, Michigan to Mary A. Carpenter, who was born April 2, 1862 in Fairfield, Lenawee County, Michigan. She was the daughter of Reuben T. and Rosanna (Upton) Carpenter. Dr and Mrs McDonnell have twin children, a son: Matthew Leslie and a daughter, Mary Edessa born May 13, 1883.
In addition to his regular business, McDonnell also owns half interest in a drug store with his brother-in-law, L. C. Carpenter.
WILLIAMSON, William J.: farmer, section 29, Grant Township, was born August 5, 1840, in Hancock County, Ohio. The son of Levi and Mary (Biblar) Williamson, his father of English and Scotch decents, his mother born in Ohio, of Dutch parentage. His mother died in 1849, and his father re-married to Agnes Cellars a native of Ohio, and they moved to Allen County, Indiana. In the fall of 1863, they came to Huron County where his father purchased 80 acres of land, situated on section 29, Grant Township.
William was the second son of the first marriage, and enlisted in the Union Service August 13, 1862. He enrolled in the 100th Indiana Infantry, and was discharged on disability on January 6, 1863. He returned to Allen Co, Indiana, until the spring of 1863, when he settled in Huron County. He purchased a land claim of 160 acres in Grant Township and remained on these lands until that same fall, when he re-enlisted in the 142nd Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He remained in service until the end of the war, when he returned to Huron County to work his farm.
Williamson married Elizabeth Ann Harrison, who was born June 25, 1854 in Canada. Her parents, Edward and Elizabeth (Petch) Harrison were natives of England. They emigrated to Canada in 1845, where they remained until 1867, when they came to Huron County. She bore four children to their marriage: Charles E. , Gertrude M. , George O. , and Lydia M. George died in infancy
REED, James: farmer and salt contractor at Grindstone City, was born November 14, 1840, in Narsagawaya, Halton County, Ontario. He was the son of William and Mary E. (Green) Reed, natives of Canada as well.
He came to Huron County in October, 1865, and worked one season as a lumberman in Port Austin. In 1866, he came to Grindstone City and engaged work as a quarryman. From that date until 1882, he worked the same occupation.
Reed married February 4, 1863, in Guelph, Halton County, Ontario, to Mary Hyde, daughter of William and Eliza Hyde, she was born July 18, 1844 in Canada. They had four children: Eliza J. , James A. , Thomas E. , and Annie M..
In 1882, Reed took possession of his farmland , which he had purchased in 1869. It contained 40 acres, however, he sold a portion and cultivated the remaining 26 acres. In 1882, he made a contract with Worthington & Sons to manufacture salt in their mills. He owned a fine residence and a mercantile business where he employed his son-in-law, John E. King.
NEAL, Henry: proprietor of the Lake View House at Huron City, was born December 13, 1828 in Woodstock, Oxfordshire, England. He was the son of Thomas and Mary E. (Stowe) Neal, natives of England who emigrated to America in 1837. They lived in the city of Detroit until 1842, when they moved to Moore Township, Ontario, Canada, where they bough a farm of 100 acres. His father was born in October 1801, and died on his farm in 1875.
Neal entered the lake sailing service in 1842, and from 1844 to 1880, he worked winters in the lumbering business. He began as cabin boy and held every position until he beame master of the vessel. His business was a success until a heavy gale in July 1860, drove his schooner into the rocks on Middle Island, in Lake Erie. From 1867 he sailed as steward on a steamer partial owned by Langdon Hubbard.
In 1878, he became land owner of a farm who he inturn sold to build the hotel Huron House. Five days after it's complete repair and refurnishing, the hotel burned in the fire of 1881. He immediately proceeded to replace the stucture on the same site, and completed it September 3, 1881. On the following, Monday, September 5, 1881, the second hotel was burned by a great forest fire and was totally destroyed. After this second fire, Neal moved to Detroit, and rented a residence for his family, and went to Minnesota to find work. He spent six months with no luck, and decided to return to Huron County to the property site that had twice disappeared in flames. Successful this time, with a two-story stucture of 16 rooms, and afforded comfortable entertainment.
Neal married January 9, 1849 to Mary A. Proctor, who was born February 27, 1833, in Lincolnshire, England. She was the daughter of William and Elizabeth (Simpson) Proctor, her father born in Lincolnshire, Engalnd in 1784, and her mother born December 4, 1796 and died June 4, 1876 , in Detroit. Their children were born as follows: Emily born September 3, 1850, died April 5, 1856; Elizabeth born August 21, 1852; Henry A. born October 27, 1854; Mary M. born November 10, 1856; Thomas born September 27, 1858; Emma C. born July 6, 1860; Minnie born September 18, 1862 died May 1863; Lilly C. born October 28, 1865; Minnie (2nd) born February 19, 1867; William C. born June 27, 1869; and Alvin Frank born November 30, 1872.
Neal was a Republican, and elected four years as Justice of the Peace, but resigned after serving only two years. He was appointed Postmaster in 1879, and resigned in 1883.
THOMPSON, William: farmer, section 5, Huron Township, born February 4, 1834, in Wintertown, England. His parents, John and Mary (Hogg)Thompson natives of England as well, however died in Canada, after emigrating in May 1850.
William was raised to become a farmer as well, and at age 16, he emigrated to America, and rented a farm. In 1859, he moved to Huron City where he entered the employ of Langdon Hubbard, as a lumberman for ten years.
He married April 26, 1857 to Elizabeth Thompson, the daughter of Joseph and Rebecca (Scovill) Thompson. Her mother died when she was in childhood; her father in 1859. Their union produced the following children: Anna born March 18, 1858; Alfred born July 29, 1860; John S. born June 22, 1862; Rebecca born July 3, 1864; Minnie born August 20, 1866; William born June 30, 1868; Dora J. born November 1, 1870; Elizabeth born February 22, 1873; Cora I. born September 25, 1875; Charles W. born February 11, 1878; Richard D. born December 7, 1880; and Arthur born February 4, 1884.
Thompson moved his family to Bloomfield Township for six years and cleared farm land for Langdon Hubbard. When that land was cleared, he too possession of his farm.
He was a Republican by political affiliation, and School Director for 8 years, Supervisor for 3 years, and Treasurer for 2 terms. The family attended Methodist Church.
WILLIAMS, Durin H. T. : farmer, section 21, Colfax County, was born February 2, 1831, in Wayne County, Michigan. His parents, Benjamin and Mary (Tuttle) Williams were natives of Ohio and New York, respectively. They later settled in Michigan, after their marriage, where they each passed away in Shiawassee County. The father July 15, 1871, and the mother, April 22, 1868.
Williams passed the first 20 years of his life at home, obtained his education, and working on the family homestead. In 1852, he went to California and remained there until 1956, when he returned to Shiawassee County. In September , 1861, he enlisted in the 8th Michigan Volunteer Infantry. He served in the war until October 1862, when he recieved a disability discharge.
He married on December 29, 1849, to Rachel Wolfen , who was born in the state of New York. They had 7 children: Emily J. , Martin P. , Durin J. , Sarah A. , Dan S. ,Dorman R. and Eva M. who died at age 18 months. She and her husband were members of the Methodist Church.
In September 1873, he came to Huron County and purchased a land claim of 160 acres in Colfax Township, under the Homestead Law. He cultivated 40 acres, and built his home, barn, and sheds on the rest. The was a Republican, and held the office of Justice of the Peace.
JOHNSON, Edwin G. : farmer, section 29, Gore Township, was born November 11, 1835, in Vernon, New York. His father, Gardner S. Johnson was born September 12, 1802, in New York. He was a farmer, and brick manufacturer, until the year 1847. In 1836, he spent three years manager of a hotel in Detroit, and came to St Clair County. They later moved to Royal Oak, Oakland County, Michigan where he died November 28, 1853. The mother, Fanny (Cook) Johnson was born April 25, 1807, in New York, she died in Denver, Colorado, March 12, 1883.
Johnson was about 18 years old when his father died, and he remained home for about 8 years maintaining the family. He came to Gore County May 23, 1864, and purchased 52 acres of land, and an additional 80 acres thereafter.
Johnson had been married twice, the first took place November 13, 1861 to Evelyn A. Davis, she was born August 25, 1846 in Royal Oak, Michigan, the daughter of Alexander and Mary (Stone) Davis, and died March 14, 1878. They bore 2 children of this marriage: Fannie E. born February 23, 1864; and Gardner E. born May 24, 1868. Mr Johnson's second marriage was on December 31, 1878 to Elizabeth Richardson born June 5, 1859 in St. Marys, Canada, the daughter of George H. and Harret (Cary) Richardson. Three children were born of this union: Caroline M. born September 30, 1879; Charlotte E. born May 2, 1881; and George Byron born January 19, 1883.
PROVORSE, John H.: farmer, section 18, Lincoln Township, was born August 6, 1843, in Canada. His parents, John A. and Melinda (McDonald) Provorse, were natives of New York, and Canada, respectively. They came to Huron County, Michigan in 1855.
At age 15, Provorse engaged in boat building for six years, and thereafter, farming and lumberman. He has been the proprietor of 3 farms in Lincoln Township. In the fall of 1883, he bought 120 acres of partly improved land, and later a portion of about 87 acres.
His marriage to Rebecca Kirkpatrick took place on October 20, 1866, in Huron County, Michigan. They had four children: Alonzo, Clara A. , Emma , and Debbie. Alonzo died at age 4 years.
JEROUX, Joseph: farmer, section 17, Meade Township was born October 25, 1821, in Canada, and is of French parentage. He came to Huron County in the spring of 1859, to become a farmer.
He married in Canada to Zooy Delchou, a native of Canada. They had 9 children to their union: Benjamin, Sarah, Julia, George, James, Mary, Josephine, Nora, and Rosanna. Julia passed away at age 22 years.
Jeroux bought 80 acres of land in Meade Township, 65 of which are improved acres.
CARPENTER, Lewis Cass: druggist, grocer, and senior member of the firm of L. C. Carpenter & Co, was born May 9, 1848, in Lenawee County, Michigan. His parents, Reuben T. and Rosanna (Upton) Carpenter.
Lewis Cass was the eldest of three children. He remained on the homestead until he was 25 years old, when he went to Hicksville, Defiance County, Ohio, and established himself in the livery business. He was employed there eight years, and in 1881, went to Tombstone, Arizona, where he spent six months in silver mines.
He returned to Lenawee County for one year and worked as a clerk in the general store. In 1883, he came to Bad Axe and embarked in his druggist and grocery business, with his brother-in-law, Dr. M. C. McDonnell.
Carpenter has been married three times, the first Miss Eldora A. Hubbard, who died in Lenawee County, her native residence. His second wife, Lucinda Emery of Henry County, Ohio bore two children Eldora born January 2, 1873, in Henry County, Ohio, and Emery L. born April 9, 1878, in Lenawee County, Michigan. His third marriage to Esther F. Clark occurred November 19, 1882. She was born July 9, 1858, in Hope Valley, Rhode Island. They had one child: Ethel born February 14, 1884, in Bad Axe, Michigan.
WILLIAMSON, Levi: physician and farmer, section 29, Grant Township, was born October 15, 1815, in New Hampshire County, Virginia. His parents, William and Mary (Stearns) Williamson, were natives of Virginia also. They moved to Pickaway County, Ohio where his mother passed away. The father went to Hancock County, Ohio, and after the course of the war, to Missouri, where he died.
Levi came to Grant Township in the spring of 1863. He purchased 80 acres of land, and built his first residence. He entered upon his practice, and held a substantial reputation. He purchased an additional 80 acres, including an orchard, with good buildings and creditable farm fixtures.
He married in Hancock County, Ohio to Mary Biblar, a native of Fairfield County, Ohio. She died May 30, 1848, in Hancock, County but had bore 5 children to their marriage: Abraham, William J. , Benjamin F. , Mary E. , and Sarah A.. Dr. Williamson married a second time to Agnes E. Cellar on September 10, 1850, in Wood County, Ohio. She was born July 18, 1834 in Richland County, Ohio, and bore 3 children to their marriage: Alva C. , John M. , and Josephine A.
The Williamsons are Adventist by religion, and practice Democratic politics.
PARENT, Amos: farmer, section 30, Lincoln Township, was born May 5, 1839, in Shefford County, Providence of Quebec, Canada. His parents, Telesphore and Julia (Fluet) Parent, were native of Quebec. The mother died in Canada, the father died May 8, 1880 in Quebec. When Amos was about 11 years of age, the family went to Vermont, and stayed 3 years, then returned to Canada. He began to learn the business of carpenter and joiner by age 20, and pursued that business, in connection with farming.
He purchased 80 acres of land in Lincoln Township in the spring of 1879, and improved 29 of those acres, immediately. He was part of the Prohibition political party.
Parent married March 16, 1870,in Middlesex, Ontario, to Marietta, adopted daughter of Robert and Emma Phippen. They had four children: Edith A. , Albert E. , Minnie R. , and Ida M. Marietta was born in London, Ontario, Canada, February 21, 1852. They were Protestant in faith.
PHILP, Robert: merchant, and real-estate broker, was born March 4, 1847 in Port Hope, Michigan. His parents, Thomas and Ann (Moon) Philp were farmers in Canada, who emigrated to the United States in 1858. They were the first settlers of Verona Township. His father purchased the entire acreage of section 36, except the southeast quarter of 80 acres.
Robert had limited education, and became controller of his own by age 17 years. He purchased 80 acres of land, from his father, in 1866, and later, the entire acreage of section 36, by age 23.
In May , 1875, he rented his farm and opened a general mercantile business in Bad Axe which promised success until the fire of 1881 completely destroyed the entire business. He was the first one to re-build however, and had his new merchantile up and running within 60 days. He managed his affairs alone until November 1, 1882, when he admitted Thomas Foster to a half interest in the business.
Philp married to Catherine Foster, in Verona Mills and they had six children, none of which are named, herein.
He instituted his real-estate interests in 1878, and built his own residence, and owns 150 lots in the eastern portion of the town, known as," Robert Philp's First Addition to Bad Axe. He also belongs to the Masonic fraternity.
HALEY, James: farmer, section 28, Colfax Township, born in 1846 in Ireland, and his the son of Oliver and Mary (Culbert) Haley. The parents, also natives of Ireland, emigrated to Canada in 1853, and to the United States in 1865.
Married May 8, 1873, to Angeline Sherman, who was born August 27, 1853, in Illinois, the Haley's had 6 children: Mary E. , Rosecoe , Margaret , Burt, Mabel M. , and Martha J.. They were members of the Methodist Church.
Two years after his arrival in Huron County he purchased 160 acres of land in Colfax Township, which he built his residence and cultivated. He served four years as Constable, one year as Treasurer, and four years as Superisor.
FILION, Leon: farmer, section 31, Lincoln Township. was born near Montreal, Quebec, Canada on April 2, 1844. His parents, Moses and Angeline (Desjardines) Filion, were also born in Canada, and of French parentage. In 1861, Leon emigrated to Hume Township, Michigan, were he was resident for many years.
He married December 10, 1878, in Canada, to Sarah Todd, and had four children: Moses, James L. , Sarah A. , and James M., who died August 2, 1883. They were members of the Presbyterian Church.
Filion bought 80 acres of land in 1872 on section 32, Lincoln Township, which he took possession of in March 1883. He increased his acreage to 240 total.
MELLIGAN, John: Supervisor of Rubicon Township, resident of Port Hope , was born April 29, 1848 in Dereham Township, Oxford County, Ontario. His parents, John and Mary (Fortune) Melligan were natives of Ireland. The moved from Ontario to Worth Township, Sanilac County while John was still a young child. They were farmers, and raised their sons as farmers. The father died in 1867, in Worth Township, and the mother died in Sanilac County, Michigan.
Mr Melligan wrout out his own fortune, and started in his life at age 16 years. He also inherited a part of the care of his parents, which he discharged dutifully. When he was 26 years of age, he purchased 100 acres of land in Rubicon Township. He improved those lands, and purchased an additional 125 acres which he also cultivated. He was employed by W.R. Stafford in 1871 as manger of his farm.
He married July 3, 1873, to Martha Fry, they have two children: J. Willie, born October 10, 1876; and Clarence M. born July 25, 1880, both born in Port Hope. Mrs Melligan was the daughter of William and Catherine (McKaigar) Fry, her mother passed away in 1856, and her father re-married thereafter.
GELTZ, Charles : farmer, section 30, Gore Township, was born December 13, 1850, in Berline, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. His parents, Christian and Christine (Herman) Geltz, were born in Germany and emigrated to Ontario in 1844. The father was a mason by trade and came to the United Sates to Huron County October 2, 1963. He bought 80 acres of land in Gore Township. He was born October 16, 1815 and died in December 1882, at Port Hope.
Charles married September 14, 1873, to Henrietta Schultz and had six children: Minnie , Peter, Ida , Emma , Charles, and Otto. He was a Democrate and served four terms as Supervisor.
He too, bought land in Gore Township, a total of 50 acres, which he built his home, frame barn, and the rest was cultivated.
SCHUBEL, Charles : farmer, section 7, Huron Township, was born July 19, 1835, in Prussia. His parents, Joseph and Lucinda Schubel, were also born in Prussia, where his mother died in 1851. That same year, two of her sons, Charles and Fred both emigrated to the United States. The father, and a sister followed the next year, and settled in Lexington, Michigan.
Schubel worked as farmer, and lumberman for 3 years for Langdon Hubbard. He also held position as foreman until 1871.
He married August 17, 1861, to Mrs. Lucinda Bopp, whose first husband drowned in a mill-pond in Huron City. Mr Schubel is a member of the Lutheran Church, his wife of the Catholic Church. She had four children, from her first marriage: John , Fred, George, and Rosa.
Schubel had held office of Supervisor several terms, and officated four years as Justice of the Peace.
PATERSON, Roger: farmer, section 1, Grant Township, was born in February 1826, in Scotland, the son of Alexander and Mary Paterson also natives of Scotland. They lived in that country until 1842, when the mother came to Canada with the children, that father had passed away in 1827.
Paterson spent seven seasons on the lakes as a sailor and lumbered during the winter. He resided in Canada until 1879, when he came to the Tuscola County, Michigan, the following summer he arrived in Huron County.
He married in Ontario, March 10, 1857, to Isabella Leitch, and they had 8 children: Alexander, Mary A. , Isabella , John , Catherine , Betsey, and Peter. She was born August 14, 1834, in Scotland, and they belonged to the Presbyterian Church.
Paterson purchased 160 acres of land, and cultivated approximately 70 of those acres, which are also part of his residency.
HAYWOOD, Clark: one of the prominent and leading lumber producers of Huron County, resident of Port Hope, and was born November 20, 1815, in Springfield, Vermont. He was the son of Nathaniel and Mary (Durant) Haywood. In 1822, the family moved to Haverhill Township, Grafton County, New Hampshire where his father bought a farm.
He married in February 1845, in Landaff, New Hampshire, to Ellen M. Clark and was born September 20, 1820 in Landaff, New Hampshire, she was the daughter of Daniel and Mary (Merrill) Clark and bore seven children to their marriage: Arthur H. , Mary C. , Alice M. , Eben C. , Mattie, Ella M. and Charles D.. All the children were born in Bath, New Hampshire, except Charles, who was born in Michigan.
Haywood was in the production of lumber and shingles in the township of Sand Beach. He owned and managed a saw-mill, was a member of a firm in Cleveland, Ohio, which was established in 1881, and included his sons, Eben, and Charles, and a nephew, N.J. Haywood. He was a representative of farmer of Huron County, and owner of several thousand acres of pine lands.
In 1854, he formed a partnership with W. R. Stafford and opened a extensive mercantile busines in Lexington, Sanilac County, Michigan. In October, 1854, he built a saw-mill at Port Hope, which produced lumber, shingles, and lath. The Lexington business closed in 1877, and a division of property was adjusted. He is a fourth owner in the Bay City & Cleveland Transportation Company, which conveyed lumber on barges and steam tug.
His farmland of 360 acres, was under fine cultivation and considered one of the most valueable in Huron County. He also owned a farm of 200 acres near the village of Port Hope, and was proprietor of a tract of 1,200 acres in the western part of Sand Beach Township.
He had been for many years connected with the Masonic fraternity and served as Postmaster.
ODELL, Charles: owner of the mercantile firm of Odell & Company in Bad Axe, was born February 23, 1822, near the boundary of the United States and the Province of Quebec, on the Canadian side. He was the son of Joseph and Elizabeth (Van Vliet) Odell, who sent him to London, Ontario, to learn the shoe-making trade.
He purchased 25 acres of land and conducted farming in connection with shoe-making for about 10 years. He then beame the proprietor and manager of a farm of 50 acres in West Williams, Ontario, where he resided until 1862, then sold out and open a store for general merchandise, that he conducted until November 1881.
Odell married July 25, 1863, in London, Ontario, to Lydia A. Woodman, who was born in Buckston, Maine. Only four of their eight children are recorded here: Hiram H. born near London, Ontario, March 9, 1854; William R born August 21, 1856, a farmer in Canada; Abigail born August 26, 1847, later married Charles T. Collins; and Aphia E. born August 28, 1851, later married James Sadler. Their mother, Lydia died March 31, 1874, in West Williams, Ontario.
Odell, opened his commercial business in Bad Axe soon after arriving in 1881. He associated with him, his son, Hiram, and his son-in-law, Charles T. Collins. Their stock included dry goods, groceries, boots, shoes, crockery, glassware, flour, and feed.
GRICE, James P.: of the firm Grice & Sons of Verona Mills was born July 12, 1852, near Harford, Connecticut. The son of James G. and Jane (Mason) Grice, natives of Connecticut, who emigrated to Forester, Sanilac County, Michigan in 1856. His father was an engineer and machinist, and was in charge of the steam mill of Adams, Kelley & Company in Forester for about eight years. In 1864, he came to Rock Falls, Huron County, and operated as engineer for Pack, Jenks & Company.
James became a engineer as well, and took charge of the mill, retaining management until the fire of 1871, when he came to Verona Mills where he operated Messrs. Ballentine, Puddock & Company, and later purchased in 1883.
In 1877, Grice was appointed assistant to the Government works at Sand Beach, where he was in charge of the diving outfit. He remained in that position for five years.
He married September 27, 1882, in Sand Beach, to Jennie Moore, daughter of Edwin and Lois (Sparks) Moore, who was born October 19, 1864, in Pickering County, Canada. They had one daughter: Jennie M. born June 20, 1883 in Lexington, Michigan.
Grice, formed an association with his brother, W. M. Grice in 1882, and established a general repair shop. In January 1884, he bought the quarter interest of his other brother, Joseph O. Grice in a fouring mill.
PANGBORN, John C.: farmer, section 20, Verona Township was born November 18, 1851, just northwest of Toronto, Canada. His parents, John and Barbara (Shier) Pangborn, came to Verona in 1862, and bought 160 acres of land on section 35.
Pangborn, bought a farm in 1879, on 40 acres of land, and later an additional 80, with 70 under cultivation. He also built his barn, and part of his residence. In 1881 he lost his barn, all the year's crop of grain and hay, all his fences, and much of his miscellaneous property. He rebuilt, and within two years, lost it all again in a fire. He retained only 70 acres improved land.
He married January 12, 1880, at Sand Beach to Ellen Taylor, daughter of William and Susannah (Conboy) Taylor, natives of Canada. She bore two children to their union: Alton C. born January 8, 1883; and Morton C born December 29, 1883.
Pangborn was also Treasurer of his township in 1881 and 1882.
SINCLAIR, Daniel: farmer, section 1, Grant Township was born July 22, 1843, in Ontario, Canada. His parents, Donald and Rachel (Lyman) Sinclair, were natives of Scotland and Canada, respectively.
Sinclair spent several years of his life as a silr on the lakes. HIn 1868, he first came to Huron County and bought 80 acres of land in Grant Township. In 1878, he made a homestead claim and 80 additional acres.
He married twice, the first, to Ellen Kanard, took place at Carson City, she was a native of Canada, and died May 29, 1878. She bore one daughter, Ellen. His second marriage on December 15, 1880 to Rosanna Keeler bore one child as well, Daniel who was born June 27, 1884. They were members of the Baptist Church.
MCDOWELL, William H. : farmer, section 22, Colfax Township was born June 22, 182 in West Point, New York. His parents, John and Ann (Simonton) McDonwell were natives of Belfast, Ireland, and came to Canada earily in their lives. They settled in New York, after their marriage, and later moved to Ohio. They returned to Canada, and made their last residence in 1862, in Bay City, Michigan. The father built the first foundry in that city, and both parents passed away in Bay City.
McDowell, acquired a good education, and stayed at home, until age 23 years. He was instructed in the foundry business at age 14, and began to work at molding, which he followed for 11 years. He came from Canada to Bay City in 1867, and passed two years employed as molder.
He married May 27, 1856, to Barbara McNaughton. She was born in Chippewa, Ontario, and was of Scotch descent. They bore nine children to their marriage but only seven are recorded by name: John W. , Anna , Mary , William H. , Samuel, Bella M. , and George N. Emma and another child died in infancy. The mother was a member of the Presbyterian Church.
In 1878, McDowell, came to Huron County and bought 720 acres of land, which he retained 520 acres of in Colfax Township. This is compromised of cultivated and improved lands. He was a Democrat and served several offical positions in Colfax.
FACER, Henry E.: farmer, section 8 - 21 - and 15 in Rubicon Township, was born June 15, 1830, in Port Huron, Michigan. His parents, Lewis and Susan B. (Baker) Facer, were among the earliest settlers of the state of Michigan. His paternal grandfather, was well-known fur trader among the Native Americans, as agent for the Hudson Bay Company. His father was born in Zanesville, Ohio, and was employed by the Government to carry mail between Zanesville and Chillicothe, Ohio. He later became a baker and also engaged in the merchantile business and lumber, and later in hotel-keeping.
Henry Facer obtained the appointment of light-house keeper on Presque Isle, Lake Erie, for 3 years. He next engaged as a ship and house carpenter in Detroit and Imlay City, in company with Joseph B. Arnold. He then devoted 16 years to the occupation of building. In the fall of 1863, he came to Port Hope and entered the employ of W.R. Stafford for 2 years. Then he engaged in lumbering for Howe & Clark of New River.
In 1870, he bought 80 acres of land in Rubicon which he cultivated and built his residence. He was first married April 19, 1853 to Marietta Bryce, who was born July 11, 1833, the daughter of Thomas and Mary A. (Hodgman) Bryce. Her father died around 1847, and her mother died in 1883. Marietta died in March 1863. His second marriage in 1865 to, Ann Jane McClure daughter of David and Susanna (Taylor) McClure issued six children: Thomas B. , Omar D. , Winfield S. , Nettie, Eva, Eber B. , Frederick, Carrie, and Harry.
Facer, was a Republican, and he and his wife were members of the Presbyerian Church.
ROBINSON, Watson: farmer, section 18, Sigel Township was born January 27, 1813, in Yorkshire, England. His parents, Thomas and Mary (Willin) Robinson were natives of England, and emigrated in 1819 to Canada, settling in the county of Peterboro. Watson was 6 years old when his parents came to Canada, and he remained on the fair until he reached adulthood. His father gave him 100 acres of unimproved land , and he occupied it until 1849, when he bought a farm in Oxford County, Ontario, Canada, on which he lived 12 years.
He came to Michigan in the winter of 1861 and became the proprietor of 80 acres of land in Sigel Township under the Homestead Law. He eventually owned 370 acres of land in Sigel and Verona and had improved 40 acres when the fire of 1881, caused considerable damage. He awoke to find himself without a hat, shoes for his feet, and pratically destitute of clothing, however by the fall of 1882, he recovered, and retrieved all his loses.
He married in November, 1833, in Peterboro County, Ontario, to Elizabeth Livick, daughter of John and Mary Livick. They bore 10 children to their marriage: Mary, Thomas, John , Jane , Margaret, Willin, James, Elizabeth, Jane (2nd), and James (2nd). Jane (1st), Willin, James (1st), and Elizabeth all died within one month of eachother of malignant sore throat. Robinson married a second time in the winter of 1866, to Charlotte Harper, in Sigel Township. They had four children to their union: Watson Jr , George W., Josephine , and Maria. Josphine died in infancy. Charlotte was born September 13, 1844 in Oxford County, Ontario, Canada, the daughter of Robert and Ann (Tribe) Harper, who were natives of Norfolkshire, England.
Robinson was Independent of political belief and nominated for the Legislature of Huron County in August 1878, but he withdrew his name. He served three times as Supervisor, three times as Township Treasurer, and twice elected Justice of the Peace.
BODEY, John R. : land owner, section 29, Grant Township, was one of the earliest settlers in Grant Township. He came in 1863, and entered a claim of 80 acres, erected a shanty, and cleared his land, meanwhile working as farm labor until October 1864, when he entered the Army of the Union, which he served about nine months. Born April 26, 1831, in Putnam County, Ohio, he is the son of Henry and Susan (Comer) Bodey, both natives of Virginia. They settled in Ohio after their marriage, where the mother passed away. The father moved to Randolph County, Indiana, where he later died. John was the fourth son and fifth child. He lived in Ohio until age 19 years, when he went to Allen County, Indiana, and resided there until his arrival to Michigan.
He married December 2, 1855, in Allen County, Indiana, to Lydia A. Baxter, born May 1, 1836 in Long Island, New York. They had six children to their union: Samuel F. , Mary L. , Lydia J. , Sybil O. , Joseph D. , and Oliver A. . Sybil, was the first white child born in Grant Township, born January 24, 1864. Lydia was a member of the Advent Church, and daughter of Thomas and Lavinia (Younglove) Baxter, natives of New York State.
HUBBARD, Joseph: farmer, butcher, section 33, Gore Township, was born December 20, 1843, in Lincolnshire, England. His parents, Joseph and Susanna Hubbard both of English birth, the father having been born around 1817 and died while Joseph was a child. His mother was born April 1823, in Lincolnshire, England.
Hubbard left Liverpool, England for the United States February 28, 1866, and landed in New York, he reached Port Hope March 17, 1866 and engaged in farming and lumbering.
He was first married in October 1866, to Susanna Hubbard and had one child that lived only one month. The mother died in December 1873, in Ontario. Hubbard's second marriage was to Hannah Campbell, daughter of Robert and Mary (Gambel) Campbell. They had five children born from their union: Harry, Joseph, Robert J. , William and Mary.
Hubbard was a part of the Greenback party, and served several terms as Town Clerk.
MORGAN, John A. : merchant in Bad Axe was born February 23, 1819 in Wales, England. His parents, William and Mary (Lewis) Morgan also natives of England, sent him to the town of Merthyr Tydvil, to learn the trade of tailor.
Morgan came to the United States in 1848, and settled in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, where he followed his trade until 1851, moving to Detroit. He earned himself a well deserved reputation as superior maker of coats. He remained in Detroit until 1864, when he moved to Wyandotte, Wayne County, Michigan to establish a new tailoring and clothing business. He remained there until 1877, when he moved to Bad Axe.
He was married in England, December 4, 1843, to Rachel Griffith, who was born June 27, 1811. She came mother of one daughter, Sarah A. Rachel died November 26, 1844 in Wales, England. He married a second time, in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania January 18, 1849, to Sarah Davis, who was born March 26, 1823 in Wales, England. She came to the United States with her father in 1830. Only 3 of their 8 children are listed here: Mary, Ruth, and William T.
STORBECK, Otto W.: farmer, section 6, Lincoln Townhship, was born in New York December 7, 1855. His parents, William and Teny (Witmire) Storbeck, were natives of Germany. They came to American around 1854, and resided in New York, and moving to Huron Township, thereafter.
Otto stayed in the family home until he was about 24 years of age, and set out to purchase his own land. He bought 120 acres in 1876 in Lincoln Township, and sold half of his original purchase. The cultivated one-third of the rest.
The 1881 fire, took his home, barn, wheat, 4 acres of peaas, and all incidental crop sand belongings. He slowly retrieved his loses, and began his farm again.
PANGMAN, George: farmer, section 24, Verona Township, the son of Sterling and Jane (Mills) Pangman, was born November 2, 1844, in Ontario, Canada. He came to Verona in 1866, and bought 80 acres of land, then an additional 20 in 1871, of which 60 acres were cleared and improved.
He married March 27, 1870, in Verona Mills, to Ellen Pangburn. She was born in York County, Canada, May 10, 1846, to John and Barbara (Shier) Pangburn. They had 3 children: Lena May, born July 14, 1872, and died September 5, 1874; Carrie L born Augutst 15, 1875; and Silas E born January 22, 1877.
Pangman erected his farm buildings, and in the summer of 1883, assisted in building the Verona grist-mills.
SMALL, William E.: jeweler and dealer in stationery and musical instruments, in Bad Axe, was born March 8, 1857, in Mount Vernon, New York. He was adopted at age 8 years by former Governor Josiah W. Begole, of Flint. He entered the printing business at age 16 years, then operated as lumber yard inspector for Begole.
He entered the jewerly house of W.W. True, and remained there until 1881. He then established his own business in Bad Axe. He lost his store and contents in the 1881 fire, but immediately re-built and became a success.
He married September 3, 1879, in Flint, to Jennie R. True, the daughter of William W. and Rowena (Blair) True, she was born January 1, 1860, in Flint. They had two children: Rowena H. born April 21, 1882; and Gertrude L. born December 3, 1883.
The Following were also early residents, with shorter biographies
HUNT, John: Supervisor, Verona Township, farmer, section 24, born January 27, 1852, near St. Paul, Minnesota. He married in Oxford, Oakland County, Michigan September 24, 1879, to Laura Noble. She was the daughter of Ludwick S. and Hannah (Gibson) Noble, and was born June 24, 1857.
HUBBARD, Langdon: prominent lumbermen, and dealer in real estate of Huron County, and resident of Michigan since 1839. He was born in Bloomfield Township, Harford County, Connecticut, September 2, 1816, to Joab and Ruth (Brown) Hubbard.
He married in April, 1862, to Amanda J. Lester, and they had 3 children: Frank W. born April 16, 1863; Annabel M. born November 23, 1864; and Richard born January 25, 1865.
PROUDFOOT, William: farmer, section 20, Grant Township, was born February 19, 1837, in New York. His parents, James and Margaret (Wessel) Proudfoot, were natives of Scotland and New York, respectively. He enlisted in the 33rd New York Volunteer Infantry in 1861, and served 2 years.
He married May 18, 1864, in Seneca County, New York, to Teressa E. Randolph, and had 2 children, James E, and Elizabeth. He retained 135 acres of land, with 40 under cultivation.
FILION, Simon: farmer, section 30, Lincoln Township, was born May 28, 1851, to parents Moses and Angeline (Desjardines) Filion. He owned 120 acres of land, and had 25 cultivated.
Filion married January 27, 1877, in Grindstone City, to Marceline LaBelle, and had two children: Rosanna A. and Arthur T.. His wife, was born in Canada, April 30, 1859.
LUDINGTON, Daniel H.: merchant, Verona Mills, was born September 29, 1856, in Sand Beach Township. His parents, Jeremiah and Maria (Trescott) Ludington, had been in Huron County since 1822. In 1875, Daniel, took charge of this father's business at the mercantile, and in 1877, opened his own branch, in Verona Mills
He married in Sigel Township, September 16, 1877, to Abertle Redmon, a native of Germany. They had 3 children: Milton, Ina E. and Ruby May..
BROOMFIELD, Joseph: farmer, section 19, Sigel Township, was born September 3, 1838, in England. His parents, Charles and Mary (Boyd) Broomfield, also natives of England, emigrated to the United States in 1857.
He and his father, both land owners in Sigel Township, built their own homes, and built very large farms, with barn structures of 34x50 feet large. The city of Bloomfield is named in honor of Joseph, as he became a widely known man of intergrity and promoter of prosperity.
He married July 12, 1859, in Canada , to Catherine McKichan, the daughter of Porter and Ann (Dove) McKichan, natives of Canada. They had 7 children: Sarah, born June 24, 1860; Charles born March 1, 1863; May J born March 9, 1865; Archibald born March 15, 1867; Hannah born May 10, 1869; Fanny born May 4, 1871; and Alice born February 6, 1874.
PARR, Richard: farmer, section 23, Grant Township, was born in Ireland, in December 1832. His parents, Jacob and Ann E. Parr, were native of Ireland, and emigrated to Canada in 1832. In the spring of 1880, Richard, purchased 160 acres of land, and improved 70 acres on his own.
He married January 27, 1858, to Ann Wilson, who was also a native of Canada, and born in 1841. They had 10 children: a set of twins, that died in infancy; Ann E, Johnathan, Richard Jr, Jacob C. , Lucinda, George A. , Emma , and Hattie.
STAFFORD, William R.: one of the leading salt manufacturers in Port Hope, born November 19, 1828, in Bath, Grafton County, New Hampshire. He first came to Michigan in 1849, and settled in Lexington, Sanilac County, then established himself in merchantile. He owned his own firm, Stafford, Haywood, and Company in 1858, which manufactured lumber for 12 years. The entire propert was destroyed in the 1871 fire, but rebuilt in 1872. In 1881, he lost his property again, and rebuilt, with a variety of products, including planing-mill, sash and door factory, and lumbering mill. By 1874, The Port Hope Salt Works was rated among the best in the State, and had a capacity of producing 6,000 barrels of salt a day.
He married in Lexington to Sarah Ann Leuty, on December 19, 1852, and had four children: William born August 6, 1855 who died June 26, 1859; Edwin, born March 13, 1859, who died September 28, 1865; Mary Ellen born July 26, 1861; and Sarah born July 30, 1864. Sara Ann (his wife), died September 24, 1864 , in Bath, New Hampshire. He re-married, Mary Demaline Leuty, sister of his first wife, July 10, 1865. They had one child : Frances Alice who was born January 30, 1867.
He also served as Postmaster in Port Hope for 22 years.
TRAUX, Lewis C.: hardware merchant Bad Axe, was born February 20, 1853, in Brandon Township, Oakland County, Michigan. He came to Huron County in 1880, and embraked in the hardware business.
He married July 4, 1874, in Ortonville, Oakland County, Michigan, to Ella Bingham, and had two children: Lany B. born July 22, 1876; and Annie born July 22, 1879.
FARR, Joseph: farmer, section 28, Meade Township, was born November 17, 1832, in York County, Ontario. He was of English decent, and came to Huron County in 1876.
He married in Canada, February 3, 1857, to Mary Conet and had 9 children, however only 3 are mentioned by name: William J. , John H. , and Bertha J. Joseph was farmer and land owner of 75 acres of land.
CARRINGTON, Mark: member of the business of T. Winsor & Company, one of the earliest lumber mills in the county. He was born July 11, 1815 in Geneseo, Genesee County, New York, and came to Michigan in 1838.
He married October 14, 1838, in Burchville, to Rhoda A. Butler, who was born August 30, 1822, in New York. All eight of their children were born in Lexington, Michigan: Erwin, Julius, Mariam, Nettie, Evelyn, Ida, and Gertrude.
RAPSON, Reuben: wagon and carriage maker, and general blacksmith, Bad Axe, was born March 11, 1850, in Blenheim Township, Ontario. He came to Bad Axe in 1874, and established his business.
He married January 2, 1872, in Brant County, Ontario, to Martha N. Griggs, who was also born in Canada, February 6, 1852. They had 6 children: Charles, born February 6, 1875; Lucy T. born March 26, 1873; Arthur born October 17, 1876; Russell born July 16, 1878; and Ellen and Clara who both passed away.
McAVOY, Charles: blacksmith, Bad Axe was born in April 1868, in Glengarry, Ontario. He was an indentured servent in Ontario, until 1852, when he emigrated to New York. He came to Michigan in August 1879, and to Bad Axe in June 1880.
He married June 20, 1867, to Mary McAuliffe and had two children: Hattie E born September 20, 1868; and Catherine born August 16, 1874.
MORROW, Thomas: proprietor and manager of The Central House in Bad Axe, and was born December 22, 1844, near Chatham, Ontario. In the spring of 1883, he started construction of the hotel, and built his business 3 stories hight and accommodation for 50 guests.
He married November 23, 1870, in Huron City to Eliza J. Kerr, a native of Canada. They had five children: John born November 10, 1871; Charles born March 11, 1874; William born August 10, 1876; Mary born February 7, 1879; and Thomas born May 27, 1881.
BRACK, Conrad C.: merchant, Sebewaing, was born December 17, 1854, in Germany. He emigrated to the United States in 1872, and became an saleman for John Mullerweiss, then conducted his own business by 1883.
He married October 21, 1879, in Sebewaing to Amelia Luckhard, who was born August 1, 1856 in Sebewaing. Her parents, Frederick and Catherine Luckhard, were natives of Germany.
KERR, George: farmer and businessman, Meade Township, and land owner section 6, was born September 10, 1839, in Haldimand County, Ontario. He came to Huron County in 1864, and spent four years as farm assistant and a clerk in a general store in Port Crescent. He purchased 80 acres of land in Meade Township and opened a fire-insurance business, which also dealt in real estate.
He married June 10, 1868, to Julia Maynard (Lang), widow of John Lang. She was born in Watertown, New York, and was of French parentage. She had one child with her first husband, John Lang, who drowned in the Pennebog River in April 1867. Their son, John A. was born March 29, 1867. She had seven more children with George: Nellie born April 13, 1869; Emma born April 29, 1871; George E. born September 27, 1874; Hattie born December 15, 1876; James born October 31, 1881; George A. born February 1, 1873, died July 15, 1873; and Annie B. born October 7, 1878, died February 28, 1884.
GEIGER, John: farmer, section 25, Sand Beach, was born January 30, 1834, in Germany. He emigrated to Canada in 1854, and purchased a farm with his brother. He came to Huron County in 1861, and purchased 40 acres of land in Sherman Township and an additional 40 acres, afterward.
October 29, 1863, he enlisted in the Union Army, the 2nd Michigan Calvary, and served 22 months. He married March 14, 1858, to Christina Barfitt , in Canada, and had four children: Mary, George, Maggie and Lena. Her parents Peter and Elizabeth (Hauter) Barfitt, were of French decent.
LEARNED, Charles G: extensive agriculturist and resident of Port Austin, was born December 13, 1816, in West Troy, Albany County, New York. He was one of the builders of the Erie Canal, and constructed two tunnels on the Boston waterworks. In addition to contractor, he also farmed for 5 years West Troy.
In 1857, he came to Huron on a trip in the pine tracts, impressed he purchased several thousand acres with his brother-in-law, Frederick S. Ayers. In 1871, he sold his interests and began farming on his own, about 2,000 acres of quality acreage.
He married in Lewisboro, New York, September 23, 1838, to Maria Raymond, and had four children: J.R. , Sarah, Asa, and Mary Jane. His wife, died January 10, 1881.
GAYEAU, Lewis A.: farmer, section 34, Lake Township, was born December 27, 1838, in Kent County, Ontario. In 1864, he spent 18 months in Oil Creek, Pennsylvania, and a few months in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, and returned to Huron County around 1866.
He married Julia Campau in Saginaw City, October 19, 1844, and had 4 children: two died in infancy, Llano, born June 3, 1867; and Alexander born April 23, 1875. They also adopted two sons, Dennis and Joseph. Lewis purchased 120 acres of wild land in Sand Beach and was also in charge of the farm of Clark Haywood.
LAYER, Jacob: farmer, section 25, Sand Beach, was born January 1, 1834, in Germany. His parents, Frederick and Margaret Layer emigrated to the United States in 1854, and purchased 80 acres of land in Sanilac County.
He enlisted in the fall of 1862, in the 6th Michigan Cavalry, and served three years. Some time afterward he purchased 50 acres of land in Sand Beach and established his farm and home.
He married in Cleveland, Ohio, to Barbara Kaufman, a native of Germany on May 10, 1866. They had five children: Mary, Frederick, Catharine, Barbara and Annie.
SCHULTE, Anthony: farmer, section 16, Sand Beach was born in Detroit, September 15, 1853. His parents, Randolph and Catherine Schulte, natives of Germany, came to the Untied states in 1836 and 1846, respectively. Anthony was land owner of 25 acres of cleared and improved lands.
He married in St Clair, Michigan August 24, 1881, to Mary McAllen.
VOLZ, Ernest: harness-maker, was born February 25, 1860, in Sebewaing. He parents, Andrew and Dorothy Volz, were natives of Germany, and came to the United States in 1846, locating in Ann Arbor, Michigan. In 1878, his father, Andrew divided his property of approximately 500 acres between his children. Ernest spent 3 years apprentice in harness trade, and opened his own business in 1881.
He married October 28, 1883, in Seginaw County, Michigan, to Catherine Roth, who was born October 28, 1860, a decendant of German parentage.
FLACH, Henry E.: farmer, section 7, Chandler Township, was born September 5, 1861, in Cleveland, Ohio. His parents, Christian and Anna E. (Flanans) Flach, were natives of Germany. They came to Michigan in 1867, and settled in Caseville..
He is land owner and farmer of 700 acres of land in Chandler Township, which he purchased in 1877.
COWPER, Major: proprietor of the HalfWay House and postmaster in Sigel Township, was born in England August 15, 1845. His parents came to America in 1859. He enlisted in the 16th Michigan Volunteer Infantry in February 1864, and served until the close of the war.
He married November 10, 1868, in Sand Beach to Rachel Gager who was a native of Canada.
In connection with his hotel, he also had a grocery, and was engaged in fire insurance. He was appointed Postmaster in 1881.
He and his wife had nine children: Elizabeth born October 11, 1869; Ira born January 16, 1871; Charles born November 25, 1872; Amanda born April 28, 1875; George born March 4, 1877; Major born March 16, 1879; Albert born January 28, 1881; Richard born February 13, 1883, and died February 26, 1883; and Bertha born July 8, 1884.
SPOUTZ, Matthew: farmer, section 36, Paris Township, was born February 21, 1828, in France. His father, Otto Spoutz was a commissioned officer under Napoleon. Soon after his birth, his parents, emigrated to Luxemburg, Germany, where they both passed away.
Matthew emigrated to Buffalo, New York, in the 1840s, with his wife, Mary Hahn.
He enlisted in the 22nd Michigan Volunteer Infantry, Company K, Mechanic and Engineer Division, on March 15, 1864, he recieved an honorable discharge July 5, 1865.
BACON, Elbridge: attorney and insurance agent Sand Beach, and was born May 3, 1850, in Superior Township, Wastenaw County, Michigan. In April 1874, he came to Port Austin and entered upon the study of law, and operated at Surveyor of Huron County. He was admitted to practice in July 1876, and opened an office in Caseville.
He married May 3, 1881, to Clarency Bailey, in St Clair City and had one daughter, Ruth, who was born May 30, 1882.
In June 1879, he opened his office in Sand Beach and steadily advanced in popularity as a lawyer and advocate.
GERSTENSCHLAEGER, John: farmer, section 5, Sand Beach was born August 17, 1827, in Germany. His parents, emigrated to American in 1843, and settled in Illinois.
He purchased a farm in 1850, in Illinois, which he ran for 3 years, sold, and bought a 200-acre farm in Perry County, Illinois. He managed this farm until 1879, and sold it and came to Huron County and purchased 400 acres in Sand Beach.
He married in January 1853, in Illinois, to Eve Tuenger, also a native of Germany. They had 13 children.
Van WOERT, George H.: book-keeper, for Thomas Winsor & Company of Port Austin and was born October 2, 1831 in Albany County, New York. He followed book-keeping as an accupation in the cities of Troy, Alband, and New York, until he came to Huron County in 1862. Van Woert was also land owner of 120 acres of land in Dwight Township, and in charge of the office of Treasurer of Port Austin.
He married in Newtonville, New York November 20, 1867, to Mary J. Hermans and had one child: Herman who was born August 15, 1868.
Contributed by Linda Ball