1894 Census Enumeration Questions for Barry Co., MI
Questions Asked on the Michigan State Census in 1894
[Note: Each page in the ledger book was a preprinted form with room for 20 individuals. The top half of the page had questions 1-14, the bottom half had questions 15-31. The Barry County pages of this census were microfilmed by the Archives of Michigan and the LDS Family History Library. The films are also sold by some commercial companies. Lynn Kenney, April 2002]
NOTE A.-The Census Year begins with June 1, 1893, and ends with May 31, 1894.
NOTE B.-All persons inhabitants of this State will be included in the Enumeration who were living on the 1st day of June 1894. No others will. Children BORN SINCE June 1, 1894, will be OMITTED. Persons who were living June 1, 1894, but who have since died, will be INCLUDED.
SCHEDULE 1.--Inhabitants in _______, in the County of _______ Michigan, enumerated by me on the ___ day of June, 1894.
Name of Street
1. Dwelling Houses Numbered in Order of Visitation.
2. Families Numbered in Order of Visitation.
3. The Name of Each Person Whose Place of Abode on the 1st Day of June, 1894, was in This Family.
4. Age at last birthday prior to June 1, 1894. If under 1 year, give months in fractions, thus: 6/12.
5. Sex-Male, Female.
6. Color-White, Black, Mulatto (Mul.), Chinese (Chi.), Indian (Ind.)
7. Designation of Heads of Family (Husband and Wife) and Relationship of each other person enumerated to heads of this Family, as Son, Daughter, Hired Man, Servant, Boarder, etc.
8. Civil Condition. Single, Married, Widowed, Divorced.
9. Married within Census year, June 1, 1863 to June 1, 1864. Write "Yes" or "No," as the case may be.
Mother of how many Children, and number of those Children Living.
10. No. of Children
11. No. of Children Living
12. Place of birth of this Person, naming the State or Territory of the United States, or the country if of Foreign Birth.
13. Place of Birth of the Father of this Person, naming the State or Territory of the United States, or the country if of Foreign Birth.
14. Place of birth of the Mother of this Person, naming the State or Territory of the United States, or the country if of Foreign Birth.
Children Born to the Family During Census Year. (If no births occurred, write NONE.)
15. Number of Males.
16. Number of Females.
17. Month of Birth.
18. Number of Children Previously Born of same Mother. (If there were no previous births, write NONE.)
19. Profession, Occupation or Trade of each person, Male or Female.
20. Number of Months this Person has NOT been employed during the Census Year.
21. Whether a Soldier, Sailor or Marine during the Civil War (U. S. or Conf.) or widow of such person. Write "U. S. Sol.," "U. S. Marine," or "Wid. of U. S. Sol.," etc.
22. Is the person (on the day of the enumerator's visit) Sick or Temporarily Disabled, so as to be unable to attend to ordinary business or duties? If so, what is the Sickness or Disability?
23. Blind, Deaf, Deaf and Dumb, Epileptic, Idiotic, Insane, Etc.
Attended School within Census Year
24. "Yes" or "No" as the case may be.
25. If "Yes," give number of months.
Can the Person Read or Write in any Language?
26. Can Read. "Yes" or "No."
27. Can Write. "Yes" or "No."
28. Able to Speak English. If not, the Language or Dialect Spoken.
29. Time of Residence within the State - Years.
30. Number of Years in the United States.
31. Whether a Prisoner, Convict, Homeless Child or Pauper. If either, designate which, as "Prisoner," "Pauper," etc. If neither, write "NO."
[Compiled by Lynn Kenney April 2002]